Thursday, September 4, 2008

Liberals live in the stone age on gender roles

I am really, really feeling disheartened on the ridiculous attacks against Sarah Palin. I don’t think that John McCain or anyone else could have anticipated the amount of attention these non-scandals would get, especially in the face of the real scandels involved in Barack Obama’s history. But even more disappointing are the number of critics of her for daring to be ambitious in the face of motherhood. Even from supposedly liberal female members of my own law school, I am hearing that she simply does not have the time to leave her responsibilities as a mother. Her husband’s role is completely overlooked.

One of the main objectives of my lawyer-like pursuits is that it would allow my husband and I to have a comfortable lifestyle on one income, so that he can stay home and raise children while I earn our living. We have decided that this would be the best way to raise a family based on our relative talents, personalities, and education. With a legal education, and hard work and ambition, I have always believed, I can rise to a high career level while our children still get full time parenting. There is no reason at all to believe that Mr. Palin is not just as capable a parent as Ms. Palin, yet she is the one that is faulted for being ambitious.

I hate the statements that say “you wouldn’t say that if it were a man,” but here, I think that it is true. I’ve never heard this sort of comments about a man. To hear such narrow minded, stone-aged views from supposed progressives is very disheartening.

See this:

And these are the snippets of the burgeoning Palin legend that dominated the
conversations we had over the weekend, at baby showers and backyard barbecues,
as they may have yours. Privately, the women we encountered sat in judgment of
Palin. Some were outraged that the mother of a special-needs baby accepted the
vice presidential nomination. Others were affronted at that outrage. Like it or
not, in whispers and sometimes shouts, this is what women do when they talk to
each other: We worry over our own choices and their effect on our families;
compare ourselves to other women; and then approve, or shrug, or condemn.

Men don’t worry about these things?

No comments: