Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Most Sexist Ad of the Year?

Tennessee Guerrilla Women has the story on TGW's pick for the number one sexist ad of the year, an ad for shoes by Dolce and Gabbana.

I can't seem to copy it for this post, so you can look at it here:

Hmm, it's a static picture, so it's pretty hard to tell what's going on there, but my first thought was a sexy dance, not rape.

Even if it was sexual, what clues do we have that this is against her will? I mean, it's not what I would choose, but just because it's somewhat unconventional sex (with voyeurs, if that's what it is) certainly doesn't make it rape.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm having a hard time believing that "rape," or even something like "dominance" was on the mind of the people shooting this scene. I wish people would understand that when you call everything "rape" like this, you really de-legitimize the real problems out there.

No comments: